why blog?

i was sitting with my friend Reeve a few weeks ago eating a super fabulous salad at Flatiron Kitchen and Taphouse in Davidson talking about blogging.  blogging is overwhelming to me. 
my friend Christina stopped looking at Pinterest because of how it made her feel.  sometimes i feel this way about blogs.  

maybe i just overthink it. 

maybe i just feel like most everyone who blogs seems like they have 'it' all together.

or they are super creative and have things that they made to share or sell. 

or they are funny.  

or they write 20 words that are so poignant when combined that they move me to tears. (well ok, that's not that hard to do; move me to tears, that is.)

maybe i think that a blog post should be words or ideas that are original.  
(an aside...this was why i could never write a song.  because it all seemed like something else that   had already been written)

i don't have any of those things to talk about.
but i do have a unique perspective.
--a 51 year old woman who wants the second half of life to matter as much as the first
--a mom with beautiful daughters who have become women in their own right; one who is a rising junior at a school in NYC and one who is going to be a freshman at ASU this fall. 
--a mom of a fabulous 15 year old son who has better fashion sense than i do.
--the wife of 21 years of a remarkably earnest man who is my complete opposite and who travels weekly.
--a creative director at a church 
--a daughter of aging parents who live in a different place from me
--a sister
--a friend
--a bit of a sap
--an extrovert who loves to be in the center of it
--a history major and former high school teacher
--a wanna be dancer
--a divorced person
--a Christ follower
--a seeker
--a procrastinator

--a deep thinker




but i do want to blog.  so in spite of my insecurities, i'm gonna write.  sometimes i'll post it and sometimes i won't. and i won't use capital letters. 


Share this:

CONVERSATION

4 comments:

  1. write on, my friend! because you are YOU, there are stories to tell. don't think of it as writing; think of it as sitting with your friend...talking about....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blog on dear friend. The journey called life becomes even richer when you can write down; not only benefiting you, but for those who love you too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I oh beg you to blog more often!! I would love to know what all was going on it that beautiful, creative, amazing, funny, wild head of yours. I would look forward to your posts!
    love you
    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  4. So I miss you already and will be reading your blog... ;-) Thanks for inspiring me in the time we shared at Oasis.

    ReplyDelete