sorry seems to be the hardest word

at least that's what Elton John said.
and i guess for some folks sorry is the hardest word.
for various reasons.
some people are arrogant and never think they are wrong.  about anything.
some people are rude.  they just don't care enough to say 'i'm sorry.' 
some people aren't self aware enough to know they need to be sorry. but this post isn't about any of these people...

it's about those those people who move about their lives with purpose.  they are thoughtful and intentional.  they don't need to say i'm sorry as often as many because they know where they are going and who they are.  they have the right amount of confidence. 
i wanna be one of these people.

i am one of those people who overuses those two little words.
now i know that everyone makes mistakes.  and being able to say 'i'm sorry' is hugely important. 
but i'm one of those people who is always saying 'i'm sorry.'
and just in the last few days, i've realized something.
that's not good.

sometimes i say 'i'm sorry' when i really mean 'don't be mad at me.'  
i say 'i'm sorry' to appease; to keep the peace.
i say 'i'm sorry' because i'm second-guessing myself, my ideas, my words.
sometimes i say 'i'm sorry' because i'm a suck-up and a brown-noser.
yeah.
i am.

yes.  it's true.
i'm a people pleaser.
i HATE for people to be mad at me.
my friends
my co-workers
my kids
my hubs
you
so 'i'm sorry' becomes trite, overused, and disingenuous.

sometimes people are just gonna be upset with me.
because i said 'no'
because i was actually right and 'they' were not.
because we disagree.
just because i subscribe to different ideology/theology doesn't mean they need an apology. (cute, huh?)
sometimes that's just gotta be the way it is; they will just have to be mad.  if i did what i thought was right, then the chips just have to fall where they may.

there are those times when i need to say the words; when i'm wrong and i need to let people know.
that's when an 'i'm sorry' or better yet a 'please forgive me' is the right thing. 
but then it's up to them. and i have to be ok with that. 

so sing on elton...i'm joining the refrain.




Share this:

CONVERSATION

1 comments: