parking lot prayers

my celebration of Lent this year includes giving up apathy (toward my relationship with God in particular) and putting on intentional devotion.  it’s a long and drawn out story but the short version is that as someone who works for the church, i.e. for God, my own personal faith can be sucked into the ‘work.’  so for lent, I’ve committed to daily spending time with God thru prayer and journaling and reading through the gospel of Matthew. 

I’d like to say that I hope out of bed every morning and spend and hour in devotion but honestly, i don’t have that habit and while I try to start my day with this practice, it’s sometimes difficult.  which is why I found myself here.  

this is the view from my car at Canyons restaurant parking lot in Blowing Rock.  I’d taken my daughter Molly back to school at ASU and in the rush to get out the door, I’d bypassed the journalling.  so as I’m jamming to mumford and sons and heading back to Hville, I look to my right and see this view. 

stunning…

so i whip my car into the parking lot, stopped and pulled out my journal (I take it with me everywhere) and  wrote my breath prayers. 
“Jesus, maker of these mountains, be near to me.” 
“Jesus, light of the world, show me the way"
“Jesus, who said to Thomas, ‘see and believe’; show me who you are.”


maybe you don’t know how to direct your prayers to God.  you don’t have to be an MDiv  or a PhD (sorry, Mike) to discover names of God to use in breath prayers.  you can google it. ‘names of God in the Bible.’   here’s a link: http://christianity.about.com/od/biblestudyresources/qt/namesofgodjesus.htm


my hope is that prayer; really talking to and listening for God, becomes as natural as breathing. 





Share this:

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment